This blog is an uncensored look into my soul. I am writing this as part of my healing process, but am leaving it public so others can follow me through my journey.

If you'd like to start from the beginning, click on the beautiful, adorable picture of Hailey on the right hand column.

You can also email me at: haileyshalo@yahoo.com

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Well today is Thanksgiving, one more holiday in the line of many that I'm spending without my sweet girl.  I still can't even believe it. Last Thanksgiving was one of the best days ever!  Sean's parents and grandparents were down visiting!  We had an amazing Thanksgiving!  Hailey was here! And...we brought Ava home from the hospital after she spent a week in the NICU for an infection in her blood!


Weird how life changes so fast.  Had someone told me last Thanksgiving day, what this one would hold, I would have thought they were absolutely crazy.  I guess that's one of those tender mercies of our Heavenly Father...He doesn't always allow us to see the future.  That's one of the many things I'm grateful for today.


It may sound weird, but I was sitting here this morning realizing how much I still have to be thankful for on this beautiful Thanksgiving day.  So here it is...my list:




  • I'm thankful that I am Hailey's mom.
  • I'm thankful that she was such a happy, little girl.
  • I'm thankful that I got to spend 3 years with her.
  • I'm thankful for my knowledge of Jesus Christ and the fact that because of Him I will one day be with Hailey again.
  • I'm thankful that Hailey died peacefully.
  • I'm thankful that Lexi wasn't here when I found her.
  • I'm thankful that I spent an absolutely beautiful morning with her before she passed away.
  • I'm thankful for my Heavenly Father and all the blessings He's given me throughout this trial.
  • I'm thankful for my strength, morals, and values.
  • I'm thankful for my family and how amazing they are.
  • I'm thankful for such a wonderful and supportive husband who loves and takes care of his family.
  • I'm thankful for Lexi and Ava who give me a reason to get up every morning and face the day.
  • I'm thankful for Hailey's therapists and doctors who gave her the best quality of life she could have had.
  • I'm thankful that I have a home in a great neighborhood with great neighbors.
  • I'm thankful for my mom and dad who raised me to be the person that I am.
  • I'm thankful for my sister, who is also my best friend, and all the support and encouragement she gives me.
  • I'm thankful for friends who have stood by me and still give me the support and patience that I need during this time.  
  • I'm thankful for The Hailey Mayz Foundation and all you who donated to help others.
  • I'm thankful we were able to give our first donation to a needy family and help ease their burden.
  • I'm thankful for warm naps and Diet Coke. :)
  • I'm thankful for my church and the Gospel and the knowledge and hope that it gives me every single day.
  • I'm thankful for each and every one of you who take the time to read my blog, pray for me and my family, and send me your thoughts, stories, support, and encouragement.
So as you can see, although I'm spending this holiday without my baby girl, I still have so much to be thankful for...I could have listed much more, but I didn't want to cut into anyone's turkey time!!!  Anyways, I know all of you can find at least one thing you're thankful for this Thanksgiving day and holiday season.  Please, focus on that and keep a prayer of thanksgiving in your heart and I promise your day will be uplifted!


The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts.  No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving.  ~H.U. Westermayer  (I have no idea who that guy is, but I thought it was a good point!)

No comments:

Post a Comment