This blog is an uncensored look into my soul. I am writing this as part of my healing process, but am leaving it public so others can follow me through my journey.

If you'd like to start from the beginning, click on the beautiful, adorable picture of Hailey on the right hand column.

You can also email me at: haileyshalo@yahoo.com

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My "Unofficial" One Year Post

I officially survived today...the one year mark without my angel Hailey.  I have to say, as with her birthday, it wasn't quite as difficult as I had anticipated.  I'm not going to lie and say my emotions weren't on the brink of exploding everywhere, but I managed to contain them and continue on.  The support I've received today (and this past year) is WAY BEYOND what I could have ever imagined.  There are no words to express my sincere and heartfelt gratitude for each and every single one of you.  

I'm actually exhausted right now, so I plan on writing my "official" One Year post tomorrow, but until then... Here's what my wonderful husband wrote on our Foundation website:

One year ago today, our baby girl's life ended. 3 years old - it hardly seems fair. When she left, our family was crushed. There was a huge hole in our hearts that couldn't possibly be filled.

A year later, and I get to look back and reflect on this event that rocked our worlds. Here are some of the things I have learned:

1. I don't ever want that hole to heal or the pain to go away. Those moments of anguish and emptiness force me to remember my baby girl, and the amazing and humbling opportunity I had to be her father - albeit only for a short while. It forces me to think of all the great things that have happened since, friends I have made, and bonds that have been formed that would have never happened without her untimely departure. I am grateful for those things.

2. We could never have survived this year without our amazing support structure. Our family, our friends, our church, each of you. We are all connected in a way that no one could have ever predicted or guessed. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

3. Hailey's legacy is alive and well. We have been truly blessed with the ability to perpetuate Hailey's love of life through the Foundation. Miracles happen every day that make it possible for us to help out others - including your help in nominating families and your generosity in allowing us to help those families. We have helped almost 20 families - each with their own unique needs, stories, and gifts. Each one of those Halos has given my family the opportunity to step outside of ourselves, if only for a brief moment, to share in their challenges, their journeys, and their triumphs.

I don't know that it will ever get any easier, but if I can look back each year and can say and feel the same way I do tonight, we will be okay.
 
** Some foundation news:

I posted another halo story on the site. It is a sweet story of two young girls who each had organ transplants and ended up with B cell Lymphoma. They were strangers who met in the hospital, but have become the best of friends through their ordeal. The Foundation gave each of their families a Halo.

Click here for details: http://www.amazinghailey.com/haileys-halos/meet-the-people-youve-helped/38/marisol-jaycee

Today we gave out 6 halos to families in need - it was an awesome way to honor Hailey. Stay tuned - I will post their stories when I can.
 
** Some race news:

I spoke to the brand directors at Lay's (potato chips). They fell in love with Hailey, and are interested in helping to promote the race and the Foundation. This is a very exciting partnership. I will post more details later.

We are still looking for some shadow race sponsors (you don't have to run the race - you can sponsor a member of our military in Afghanistan to run it).

Click here for details: http://www.amazinghailey.com/events/13/the-amayzing-race

We are also looking for Corporate sponsors for the race. If you know anyone who would like to participate by donating product, money, or promotion, we are interested in talking to them. There are all kinds of opportunities for logo placement and event sponsorship - it all goes to an aMAYZing cause. Please have them call my cell - 818-384-0355 for details.

Lastly, many of your companies have programs where they match donations given by their employees. This is a great opportunity to stretch your donation, and help promote the Foundation. We already have a few companies that are doing this (US Bank, Genentech) - and would love some more. If you have a program like this at work, and are able to add our Foundation to that list, let me know, and I will promote it through the site.

Thanks again for all your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment