This blog is an uncensored look into my soul. I am writing this as part of my healing process, but am leaving it public so others can follow me through my journey.

If you'd like to start from the beginning, click on the beautiful, adorable picture of Hailey on the right hand column.

You can also email me at: haileyshalo@yahoo.com

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hailey's Memorial Stone

I can't believe it took me this long to finally post a picture of Hailey's stone.  It took us a while to decide exactly what we wanted, but after a lot of "himming" and "hawwing" we figured it out.  We are so proud of how beautiful it turned out and feel that it represents Hailey in a way that will make all those who didn't know her, but pass by her place, feel her happy spirit.  


We had it placed on her one year "Heavenly Birthday" as we now call the day she died.  We felt like it was about time to give her a beautiful memorial representing her beautiful life, instead of the little, generic name plate the cemetery puts down.


I'm not going to lie though, it was hard.  First, officially seeing the physical stone finished and ready to be placed was quite emotional.  Of course, I know she's physically gone and not coming back any time too soon and I've completely accepted that, but seeing a "tombstone" with my baby girl's name on it just wasn't something I was completely prepared for.  Then when the man placed it into the ground even more emotions flooded in.  It is so beautiful, yet so final.  That was tough to bear.  


Since then, I've bought some granite cleaner and I go visit and clean her stone at least 4 to 5 times a week.  It's black and shiny so it gets super dirty, but it gives me something to take care of in Hailey's honor.  I don't get to take care of her anymore, so keeping her place looking clean and 'beau'ful' is my way of continuing to take care of her on a daily basis.  I have come to find joy in cleaning and shining her beautiful picture and memorial. I have come to find joy in bringing fresh flowers, plants, and cute decorations to her place.  I have made it my job to make sure that anyone who walks by her place will see it and hopefully think, "Wow, that's a very loved and missed little girl."  


Here are some pictures and descriptions of Hailey's memorial placement:
(You can click on them for a bigger view.)


Watching the man place her stone.
(We had balloons to celebrate her 1st Heavenly Birthday.)

There it is...super shiny.

Hailey's Place looking beau'ful on her 1st Heavenly Birthday.

A Family Photo

A tender moment between sisters.

The Official Stone
(See below for description)
  • Of course her name is arched along the top.
  • Below that it says, "Ooge."  That was one of Hailey's nicknames.
  • Above that, at the very top are some of her favorite things:  Animals, Swimming Lessons, Eating, Therapy (She went to physical, occupational, and speech therapy 5 hours a week and absolutely LOVED it!), Lay's Potato Chips (Of course!), and Nursery (That is her church nursery...she adored her nursery leader and that's where she said the Sunday before she died, "Teacher, me know Jesus.")
  • Of course below all that is her picture, dates of life, and website. (Sean really wanted that so I finally relented and I'm glad I did.  It's something that we are very proud of.)
  • On the bottom left is a picture of the Washington D.C. Mormon Temple.  (This is very significant because it's were Sean and I were sealed for eternity together and to our children.)
  • On the bottom right is an etching of a painting that Hailey's nursery leader did a couple days after she passed away.  It is Hailey holding Jesus's hand.  The quote underneath was one of her favorite things to say, which we felt was so fitting to go along with the photo.  The day she went to Heaven was a beau'ful day for her.
  • In the bottom middle is the original dime I found. They were able to sauder it into the stone!
So, that's the official memorial for our little Hailey Mayz.   It is absolutely perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment